Sunday 24 June 2007

The Cash Point Debacle

This one really, really had me and Jules worried!!! ...

On the Saturday before tripping off to Wales, I was "tasked" with taking Luke (to get him out of the way) to the local cash point to draw out the family holiday money.

I went to the local supermarket in Heckmondwike, and attempted to draw out 200 smackers. The cash point returned and error: "Unable to perform transaction". The cash drawer did not open!

I thought... "feck" better try another 50 just in case the cash is stuck in the drawer. Again no money was returned and the drawer did not open. I though to myself... "spot on" the cash point is buggered, and me and Luke trailed another mile to the next suitable cash point.

During the journey all I heard was "Tractor Tom... Broken", because I had promised Luke a go on the Tractor Tom ride thingy at the supermarket to keep him quiet. That soon went out the window when I realised I had to scarper to the next cash point! I did also lie to Luke and told him it was broken (what a good father am I) :)

Anyway at the next cash point I attempt to withdraw 250 squid out, and it wouldn't let us. It would let me draw 50 quid out which was up to the limit on the account. It is at this point I went white and thought sh*t they have taken the money out of our accounts!!!

Waffling now!

To cut a long story short... I had a one hour call on the day with Barclays call center and they didn't return our money or provide a suitable solution. This left us potentially *bleep*ed up for our holidays - given we were lodging in the middle of nowhere and without the promise of any money or knowledge of cash point locations :(

We had to rush to our building society with only minutes to spare and managed to withdraw some cash for the holidays ... phew!

Everything seemed fine :)

I then got a rather unpleasant call from BARCLAYS customer services whilst in Wales informing me that no errors were reported on the cash machine!!! Potentially we were 250 quid down. They asked me what I would like to do... I asked them to investigate further.

Anyway.. this week I got another call from BARCLAYS, finally admitting fault and saying they would return our money. And the *bleep* would not even refund the 250 quid instantly...we still had to wait another 4 days!!!!!

Finally to summarise ...
Banks have 1 interest and 1 interest alone (in my opinion), THEMSELVES. Regardless of the fact that myself and Julie have been loyal customers for 15 years. At the first sign of issue, they back themselves up and freeze funds in our accounts.

I think its time to switch banks ;)

* BLEEP - I have been warned by the powers that be (Julie) that swearing on my blog is strictly forbidden!!!

4 comments:

Christian Briddon said...

Unfortunatly all banks are the same. You will go through the hassle of moving all your direct debits/mortgage etc and be with your new bank for another 15 years and they will still shaft you. Might as well stay where you are.

Banks are just (sorry Julie) wankers!

David Callaghan said...

I agree

They proper screwed us... and even with my complaints and providing a professional optionion on the issue, they still ignored the responsibility until the last possible point.

I have lost all faith with our bank :(

The Author said...

You should try LLoyds TSb. They noticed some abnormal activity on my account and telephoned me to ask me whereabouts in the world I was!!! (someone was spending my cash in a clothes wharehouse in Italy). They bonced the transaction back (apparently they can do this anytime up to 3 days after the 'spend',) then they told me to choose a cash point, go and get some cash, after which they froze my card, and sent me another. It arrived 2 days later. I was REALLY IMPRESSED. WEll done LLoyds TSB.

David Callaghan said...

Thanks for the recommendation... we are seriously considering moving.

They really let us down, and to compound the situation it took 4 weeks to actually get our money back!

250 quid to Barclays is beggar all, to us its a significant amount of money!