Tuesday 30 September 2008

The Weekend

This time last week I was looking forward to the Weekend :) ... and before I start waffling and moaning - we "all" did have a good weekend for the most part :D

Friday
We planned to have our friends Phil and Nic and son Oliver around for the evening - usually a good night which usually always involves me getting drunk and making a fool out of myself :)

Luke developed some "spots" during the day and because Julie's niece is currently suffering from the Chicken Pox - we thought it best to warn Phil and Nic as Oliver is less than a year old and we didn't want to be the cause of him getting ill.

Anyway - Friday night was swiftly cancelled and I had to drink alone - BOO HOO

The spots turned out to be "excema" believe it or not - and had almost gone the following day.

Saturday
Actually a good day - which finished off with me cooking a "Sunday" lunch for tea -because we were out all day the following day and couldn't have our usual Sunday meal.

Now anyone can do a Sunday lunch kinda meal - but for me this is a "big deal", because:

a) I am male and generally don't cook - am swift with the takeaway menus and payment ;)
b) I can't cook - I find it difficult and stressful
c) Something usually ends up burnt

Any I have found a cure for my cooking confidence - have a drink!!!! It eases the stress and things seem to "flow" a little better in the Kitchen area. Obviously I don't mean getting blotto and cooking - don't think a drunk chef and a gas hob really go together well.

Anyway I cooked: Chicken, Roast Spuds, Veggies (Carrots, Broccoli and Peas), Mashed Potatoes, lovely Onion gravy and Yorkshire puddings - the latter turned out really really well - if I do say so myself!!!!

End of the night was crap - Luke was full of cold and Julie ended up falling asleep nursing him. So I ended up spending the night on my own - WAH WAH WAH

Sunday
A Christening with the Briddon family. We all got up bright and early and travelled to Dronfield in Sheffield to spend the day at the Christening (or so we thought) :(

On the way into the Church I was spotted by one of Christian's mates Tracy who is a fellow blogger. Christian is always telling me funny stories about her - the fact she joined the army shortly after watching Private Benjamin always makes me chuckle :)

The Christening went well and baby Amelia was a very very good baby for the Vicar - no tears, and she nodded off during the boring part of the service - the bit when they waffle endlessly - smart child if you ask me :)

I forgot to take my pocket change with me so I ended up putting a tenner in the collection pot -
BAH HUMBUG. I always donate, but not usually that much WAH WAH WAH

Off to Christian's mum and step-dad for a booze up and food. Food at the Briddon's is literally always fantastic and the booze was FREE - all day. Get in there - I thought :)

I sound like a grabbing bugger at this point - but just want to highlight the benefits before the next bit :D

Luke is a restless child at times, and when he gets in a bad mood everyone suffers. He is also currently suffering from a condition commonly known as "ignore your parents". I suffered from this illness for a short while - the cure for me was a clout around my lug holes (perhaps this is why I have abnormally large ears)!!!!

Whilst enjoying my third drink (Pimms, Pimms and a Stella) - I could see a "situation" progressing. Julie was gradually becoming more and more stressed and Luke getting grumpy. The usual run around the garden was not stemming his over active and grumpy manner. I myself started to get stressed when I observed Luke LAUNCH himself off the Window Seats in Christian's parents front room. They have a fantastic home - and I couldn't bare Luke to be the eventual cause of something getting broken.

Anyway, and despite Christian reassuring us both that things were OK and we were paranoid parents - we made a swift exit :(... missing more beers and food. BALLS!!!

We had to call off at Frankie and Benny's for a quick meal on the way home because Luke was ready for food. This cost me 30 QUID and I have to admit was NOT value for money

Other than that - a good weekend, and we did enjoy our time at the Christening even though it was cut a little short.

6 comments:

The Author said...

It was lovely to meet you too - fellow blogger!!! What a shame that you didn't all get to stay longer...I have to say I didn't really notice Luke being naughty and I usually spot errant children a mile away!!! So an expensive weekend for you then? I'm glad that you too are amused by the clever reasoning behind me joining the army (actually it was the best three years of my life! - so clearly a great decision !!)

Hope to see you and your family again soon xx

The Author said...

...also - because we have now officially met - I have added a link to your blog on my blog!!!!

David Callaghan said...

I was actually afraid to ask you to add you as a blog link :)

I shall do the same

As for the child - think as a parent it is more the anticipation of something "bad" happening which adds to the paranoia.

Luke is generally a good child - but he does have his moments and we live in fear these are exposed to the outside world :D

Victoria said...

If you can hold on until January, we are having a 1st b'day do for Amelia - like Alice's- where again there will be plenty of food & booze! It's at ours again not Dianne's but it will be cosy!! You can make up for a lost day then! Christian send round a collection plate so bring some small change & if Luke trashes anything, we'll blame Alice!!!

I'm sorry you didn't stay longer but I perfectly understand your position - we've got 2 to do it to us now!!

David Callaghan said...

January would be fab!
Trouble with Luke is he is a little up and down with his temper. There are tell-tale signs that we can spot which usually result in him having a tantrum!

:) - I was joking about the collection plate - all to a good cause

Victoria said...

I know you were joking :) We (who should have put a folding contribution in) forgot to get some cash out & ended up putting in about £2.50 in change!!! Never mind I'm sure the big man understood!!